After working at the Waco-based law firm of Haley & Olson, P.C. for nearly twenty years, Josh joined Cherry Johnson Sigmund James PLLC in an “Of Counsel” or “Special Counsel” role. Josh presently practices from his home in the Rocky Mountains. However, Josh regularly returns to Texas to advocate and counsel with his Texas clients. As a Baylor Law graduate, with a concentration in Business Litigation, Josh has a passion for trial advocacy. He has tried numerous cases to verdict and judgment throughout the State of Texas. Josh has also mediated and arbitrated many claims through his career. Josh often mentors young lawyers in the areas of trial advocacy, business litigation, and construction law.
Josh focuses his practice in the area of business litigation, including the investigation and litigation of business tort claims; common law contract claims; and, generally, claims involving the Uniform Commercial Code: Articles 2 (contracts), 3 (negotiable instruments) & 4 (bank deposits and collections), 4A (funds transfer) and 9 (secured transactions). Josh is proficient in defending and pursuing, on behalf of financial institutions, wire-transfer cases in which a cybercrime is alleged to have been committed. Josh also pursues trade secret cases in state or federal court. Josh further represents creditors in adversary proceedings in bankruptcy court, including the pursuit of fraudulent transfer claims, violations of the Texas Construction Trust Fund Act, and so forth. Josh offers mediation and dispute-resolution services for business disputes.
Josh is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in the area of Construction Law. Approximately 40% – 50% of Josh’s law practice is dedicated to Construction Law matters, including drafting, reviewing, and negotiating construction contracts, with access to and proficiency in AIA®, ConsensusDOCS™, and DBIA contract forms. Josh also investigates and litigates all types of construction claims, such as defect claims; warranty claims; time and liquidated damages claims; project delivery-system claims; and other construction-related claims. Josh purses mechanic’s lien and payment bond claims on behalf of general contractors and subcontractors throughout the State of Texas. Josh offers mediation and dispute-resolution services for construction disputes.
From 2021 to 2022, Josh served as Chief Operating Officer for a Top-20 Utah law firm, Pearson Butler. Josh resigned that role in October 2022 in an effort to recover from long-COVID condition at the AVIV Clinic, where he participated in a three-month intensive-care outpatient program. Due to the success he encountered through the AVIV Medical Program, Josh often shares his story with and offers hope to those suffering from long-COVID condition.
- J.D., Baylor University School of Law (Business Litigation Concentration)
Baylor Law School’s trial advocacy program has consistently been recognized as a Top-5 program, presently ranking 2nd in the nation in Advocacy by U.S. News & World Report,
- B.A., Honors English: Professional Writing & Editing, Brigham Young University
After attending Brigham Young University – Hawaii Campus, and, thereafter, Brigham Young University — Center for Near Eastern Studies in Jerusalem, Josh graduated from Brigham Young University’s primary campus in Provo, Utah, with University Honors.
Languages: Functional-to-Proficient in Brazilian Portuguese
Also admitted to the United States District Court for the Central District of Utah.
- Sedona Conference – Work Groups and Events (Trade Secret Litigation)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) (Alumni – Masters in Trial)
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy (NITA) (Alumni – Deposition Skills)
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy (NITA) (Alumni – Advanced Trial Skills)
- American Institute of Architects (AIA) (fmr. National Allied Member)
- Program on Negotiation (PON) – Harvard Law School (subscriber and supporter since 2013)
- ConsensusDocs® (subscriber and supporter since 2012)
Professional & Community Memberships
- TBLS – Construction Law (2020 – present)
- Texas Bar College (2019 – present)
- Texas Bar – Litigation Section – Online CLE Committee (2017 – 2018)
- Baylor Law School – Guest Lecture – Creditor’s Rights/Debtor’s Remedies (2009 – present)
- Baylor University – Guest Speaker – World Religions (2007 – present)
- Greater Waco Chamber of Commerce, Various Subcommittees (2015 – 2021)
- Multi-Faith Advisory Network Group – Baylor University’s Religion Department (2014 – present)
- Admissions Committee – U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas (2014 – 2020)
- 29th Annual Advanced Consumer Bankruptcy Course TexasBarCLE – Speaker, Litigation Skills (February 2014)
- American Inns of Court (2013 – 2016)
- McLennan County Bar: Construction Law Highlights 2010/Creditor’s Rights & Remedies
- Texas Ranger Hall of Fame & Museum Advisory Committee (2007 – 2009)
- North Texas Soccer Association – D License Holder (2008 – present)
- Boy Scouts of America Committee Member (2014 – 2016)
- Boy Scouts of America Merit Badge Counselor (2012 – present)
- Heart of Texas Soccer – Head Coach (2008 – 2009)
- Boy Scouts of America Cub Master (2008 – 2009)
- Greater Waco Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Waco Class XXIII (2006 – 2007)
- Greater Waco Chamber of Commerce, Young Professionals Co-Chair (2005 – 2006)